Abilene Makes The Weather Channel’s Top 10 List of Windiest Cities in America
If you’ve ever lived in Abilene, Texas, then you know it can get very windy. So, it shouldn’t be too much of a shocker that the ‘key city’ is one of the windiest in America.
While Chicago is dubbed ‘The Windy City’, it seems there are 10 other cities in America that are actually windier, according to The Weather Channel.
The list was based off of average annual wind speed data from NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center. These are cities with a population of at least 100,000, as of the latest U.S. census estimate. In Abilene, our average wind speed is 11.9 mph while Amarillo, rated the windiest, had an average wind speed of 13.6 mph.
Three other Texas cities also joined the top 10 list, which proves that wearing skirts or toupees in the Lonestar State is probably not a good idea.
Top 10 Windiest Cities in America According to The Weather Channel
- Amarillo, Texas (Average wind speed of 13.6 mph)
- Rochester, Minnesota (Average wind speed of 12.6 mph)
- Lubbock, Texas (Average wind speed of 12.4 mph)
- Boston, Massachusetts (Average wind speed of 12.3 mph)
- Wichita, Kansas (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Fargo, North Dakota (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Average wind speed of 12.2 mph)
- Corpus Christi, Texas (Average wind speed of 12 mph)
- Abilene, Texas (Average wind speed of 11.9 mph)
- Buffalo, New York (Average wind speed of 11.8 mph)